Saturday, March 26, 2011

Media purge

Wow, so a lot has happened in the last day. At the last pastor meeting, I asked them how you "give something over to God". In my mind, all I've ever heard in relation to how that is actually done involves you working harder and trying to fix your problem. Well, we scrapped the whole meetings agenda and talked about my video game addiction. It ended with them referring me to a christian counselor.

So on wednesday, I drove up to ohio christian university and met for an hour with Jim. He asked me questions about myself and my problems. The one thing he asked me to do was to count the cost. He pointed out the story of the rich young ruler who asked Jesus , "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" That man wasn't willing to give up everything for Jesus. Then Jim asked me "How much are you willing to give up to beat this thing?" I responded, "Everything, but I hope I don't have to." He didn't say this, but I automatically knew that I was that rich young ruler. I had a great many possions and would rather hold on to them than give them up to be a better christian.

So I went home and counted the cost. Verses kept flying at me like, "Whoever wants to follow me must deny himself, pick up his cross and come follow me." And "redeem the time, for the days are evil" and "if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It's better to enter into eternal life halt than for the whole body to perish in hell."

That was wednesday. On friday, I moved my gaming computer to my office and removed all games from it. I donated my TV to the wheelersburg church. I canceled my tv and internet subscription and also donated my ps3 to the youth group. In short, I have no technology in my house anymore. There is no internet in my house, nor a tv. I have "cut off my hand".

That's how far I'm willing to go. It's been a day since I've played video games. I will literally force myself to do something else.

So what's holding you back? Are you willing to give that over to God?

1 comment: