Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Still learning

Man, God has been teaching me a whole lot lately. Things about youth ministry and things about myself and the world. Here are some things I've learned

1.) Payements plans are always better, except with money
Hehe, little trick lesson there. Payment plans in money usually put people into debt, but payment plans in life are a requirement for responsible living. Example: If you want to be fit and healthy, you need to invest in that a little bit every day, not all at once. To form good habits, you have to invest in them a little each day, or they won't stick. I'm working desperately to form some better habits. These include eating healthy, exercising more, keeping my house clean, reading my Bible more, and so on. All of those require daily investments. Right now, I'm not good at any of those things, but I am getting better. I guess that's a good thing

2.) The importance of the body model
Lol, once again, this lesson sounds strange. I'm not talking about people who show off their bodies, but rather the model of the church as a body. I've come to realize that my youth ministry looks an awful lot like I do. It has the same strengths and weaknesses that I have. But it will never be a good ministry if I'm the only one working on it, cause it will end up looking like me. I'm quickly finding that I need to move towards team based ministry for the youth group. I need people shaping and directing the youth ministry with me, rather than me making decisions and just asking for help making that happen. I've begun forming a ministry team that will decide on the direction that the youth group should go and then help get it there. I'm calling them my A-Team. The same logic applies to marriages. Each spouse has strengths and weaknesses, but together, they form a super human tag team capable of raising a good family.

3.) Emotions aren't as useless as I thought
I'm an intelectual. I like to think things through and emotions don't fit well into that model. But as I pursued a few girls on eharmony, I realized how important my emotions are to me. There was one girl in particular that seemed like a good match for me on paper. But after chatting with her for a month and a half and going on two dates with her, my emotions didn't back me up. I didn't feel that baseline attraction I needed to feel to continue pursuing, so I broke it off. In retrospect, my emotions fit very nicely into my thinking personality. I thought, "If I don't feel an excitement and attraction to this girl by 2 dates in, it's not right for me." There is at least one girl in my life that I do feel that attraction and excitement towards, but I'm still a big chicken about asking her out. I worry about rejection and the loss of a friend, which is already in short supply in my life at the moment.

4.) Apple computers are amazing
I'm officially an apple guy, probably even a fanboy. I never thought I would become a full fledged apple user, but the change has been made. It was spurred on by my desire to quit video games completely. I wrote a little bit about this in my last post, but it has been over two months since I played World of Warcraft. That was my drug of choice, I mean game of choice. I did play portal 2, but I beat it and then promptly uninstalled it. I think I found a happy medium for video games. I will play the single player games I long for until I beat them, and then retire them. So, when starcraft 2 comes out with their expansion, I'll play that, beat it, and then uninstall it. I'll never play a game that I cannot pause. So far, it's made me quite happy to be game free. I have a lot more time on my hands and can better work on my habits. Anyway, I bought a macbook pro and I love it. It's beautiful and capable. Lol, that's what I want in a woman! I sold my windows 7 laptop and I'm trying to figure out a good way to sell my gaming desktop. I just don't want to ship it and risk breaking it. It's my baby! I might try to sell it locally, like in the paper or on craigs list.

4.) Goal based living
Living with goals is so much better than meandering, especially when you get good at making goals. I'm getting better all the time at making good, attainable goals and laying out plans of action to get there. Currently, I have two goals for my personal life with plans of action in place for them: getting in shape and Bible study. I'm getting better at them every day and am excited to cross them off when they're done. Goal based living gets stuff done and I wonder what the Bible has to say about it. I honestly haven't thought about it, but I'm sure there has to be some examples in scripture of goal centered lifestyle.

Anyway, it's time for me to go work out! Sorry for the long delay in posting. I make no promises ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment