Friday, November 5, 2010

Some controversial thoughts

So, I was recently thinking about being a pastor. I don't really want to be one right now, but I can see myself becoming one. One of the sermons I think I would want to preach is how to treat homosexuals. Now, I'm not going to try to set out and prove that homosexuality is wrong in this post. I think if you are able to read the Bible and find any other oppinion than "it's wrong" in there, you're reading with a bias. That being said, I have a homosexual friend. there is even a chance he will read this post and become angry. I hope not.

Anyway, I think what needs to be spoken to is how to treat homosexuals. Really, the most important thing to do is put things in perspective. First, a story, then a controversial statement. Let's make up a fictitious character named Bob. Bob is a convicted rapist. Did bob choose to do this thing? Technically, yes, he did. He decided to go out and rape someone. But, did Bob choose to feel this way? Cause something in Bob's head told him "something is not right/missing from your life. The only way to get that ellusive "thing you want" is to forcibly rape someone." Did Bob choose to become a rapist? With the exception of his very last choice to rape someone, he didn't choose it. The events in his life led to the point where he felt rape was the thing he needed/wanted. Is it wrong to rape? Yes. Did he choose to become a rapist? no.

Please note the distinction. No one chooses to fall into sin. I think it's due to the fact that our bodies are tainted by sin, so we naturally want to do what our body tells us. We don't have to choose cause it's the natural thing to do! A murder doesn't one day decide he's going to murder someone, the events in his life lead up to that point where he feels murder is needed/wanted. Does that make it ok to murder someone? NO! But we don't choose to do wrong, we're prewired to do wrong! No choice needs to be made, it just happens. And I assure you, I'm not arguing fatalism.

So, lets look at homosexuality. Lets make another fictitious person named Ted. Ted is gay and he affirms that he never chose to be gay. I agree, he didn't choose. The events in his life all added up to him feeling like being gay was needed/irresistible. Ted didn't choose to be gay any more than I set out to become a video game addict. The events of my life combined together with my sin nature to make the potential addiction a reality. Same with homosexuality. That being said, the fact that Ted did not choose to be gay does not make it ok. It just makes it difficult to fix. Thus, when dealing with a homosexual, I propose that we cast off our unchristian like stigma towards them and really look at the situation. We must treat them the same way we would if someone we knew was convicted of theft. How would you help someone work through their sin in the case of theft? Would you make signs that says "God hates thieves"? Whether or not God does hate thieves, I don't think that would accomplish the ministry of reconciliation. Or would you work with that person and try to help them understand why they feel the need to steal things and how God can help them overcome that problem? Obviously, the latter

So, we should treat homosexuals like we would someone stuck in sexual sin. Granted, the church is terrible at that too, but you catch my drift? I don't have a specific plan laid out as to how you'd go about working through the sin with a homosexual, but I know that we need to quit treating this like the unpardonable sin and actually label it a sin and move from there. Is not it better to help your friend leave their life of sin than condemn them all together? Drop the stigma! People in sexual sin need extra help, cause Paul says that's the only kind of sin that lives inside the body. Can't remember the reference, sorry.

Anyways, that is my stand on homosexuality. Yes, it's wrong, but we should reach out and try to help them, rather than shunning the non-believer. (Reference to candy mountain anyone?) What that looks like? I'm not sure, but it looks an awful lot like dealing with adultery, or dealing with lying, or dealing with murder, or dealing with dishonoring your parents, or....you get the idea. It is a sin, but we're treating like it's the black plague! Food for thought

1 comment:

  1. A key factor, IMHO, as to how we relate to a sinner, is whether he loves or hates his sin.

    ReplyDelete